Travers day 2012, will be feature Temp’s mid to upper 80′s as highs and a 0% chance of rain, in fact it hasn’t rained here in several days, so the Saratoga courses should be “Fast and Furious” today!
“Updated” – 12:50 pm today!
NO Scratches of any real importance for today’s Big Graded Stakes at Saratoga.
Big Race Day wagering rules are in effect,
Which always means, Box all exotic plays, look recurring themes of the Day, Hot jockeys or barns anything that keeps repeating itself to help guide you in the later races and look for good horses in the big graded stakes getting no love from the Saratoga faithful. They will bite the non - believes right in the wallet at some point!
2012 Travers morning Quick preview,
This year’s Travers is not featuring the class of 2012′s “A” Team so there will be many wagering options for this year’s event, with the exotics payouts being generous!
Alpha at 5/2 seems more the favorite by default then anything else as someone had to be the favorite here today!
Add to that, the Saratoga main’s which does carry that moniker of the Graveyard of Favorites, for some very good reasons and you won’t want to single anyone, anywhere, on any ticket for the Travers!
Nonios and Liaison, have a rather good chance of continuing the California dominant we talked in our race preview piece, especially over a “fast” Saratoga main in what looks to be a pace-less setup!
Also note that Atigun, Alpha, Liaison and Five Sixteen are the only ones in this race to have run at this 1 1/4 mile distance or further, all the others are newbies at this 1 1/4 mile distance!
So good luck out there everyone and take’m deep today!
The 143rd edition of $1,000,000, GI Travers Stakes drew a field of 11, 3yo this morning for Saratoga’s premiere race day of the season up here at Saratoga Springs, just off of Union Ave.!
This year’s Travers will also double as the key 3yo race of the summer, as the 3yo division’s leadership sands keep shifting after the early retirements of Bodemeister, Union Rags, I’ll Have Another and now Hansen!
A “Full Pre-Race” analysis
Post time – 5:46 p.m. EDT
PP#, Silks, Horse, M/L Odds, Jockey, Trainer, Last Out!
1. Speightscity - 30/1, I. Ortiz Jr., G Contessa, 2nd way back in the GIII Withers Stakes last out!
2. Five Sixteen, 15/1, R. Napravnik, D A Schettino, 2nd in the $100,000 Curlin Stakes
3. Golden Ticket, 20/1, D. Cohen, K G McPeek, 2nd in a Churchill Alw on May 5th!
4. Stealcase, 15/1, S. Brigmohan, M E Casse, 3rd in the GI Haskell Invitational Stakes
5. Street Life, 5/1, J. Lezcano, C B Brown, “winner” of the $100,000 Curlin Stakes
6. Alpha, 5/2 , R. Dominguez, K P McLaughlin, “winner” of the GII Jim Dandy
7. Atigun, 12/1, M. Smith, K G McPeek, 3rd in the Belmont Stakes
8. Neck ‘N Neck, 9/2, L. Goncalves, I R Wilkes, 2nd in the GII Jim Dandy
9. Liaison, 8/1, R. Bejarano, B Baffert, 3rd in the GII Jim Dandy
10. Nonios, 4/1, J. Velazquez, J Hollendorfer, 2nd in the GI Haskell Invitational Stakes
11. Fast Falcon, 20/1, J. Alvarado, N P Zito, 2nd in the GII Dwyer Stakes, a distance 7th in the the GII Jim Dandy!
Everyone to carry 126 lbs!
Picks are – 10,8,6,9 exacta box, with the 7,5 mixed in to a dime super!
So the 3yo division for 2012 will hopefully get some new leadership out this year’s GI Travers Stakes, but it may not make much different as this crop of 3yo will have to pretty much start running will their elders for the rest of the 2012 racing season.